Outdoor enthusiasts will love the Gunnison River Festival, scheduled to take place from June 19-23. This year’s festival brings a whole new slate of fun outdoor activities including mountain biking, trail running, rock climbing, kayaking and raft races. Come on out to explore and experiment with a whole range of extreme outdoor sports and celebrate the Gunnison River Basin!
About the Gunnison River Festival
The 2013 Gunnison River Festival is sponsored by the Gunnison Upper River Water Conservancy District. Here’s a look at what’s on the schedule for each day of the festival:
Wednesday, June 19th
- River Film Event by the Crested Butte Film Festival @ 5pm at I Bar Ranch – admission $5
- Pre-film fly fishing on the Tomichi River at the I Bar Ranch
- Pre-register for all of the festival events
- Enjoy a variety of food and drinks
Thursday, June 20th
- Morrow Point Boat Tour at Curecanti National Recreation Area – admission $12
- Fee includes transportation to and from Gunnison
- Bus leaves at 8am and returns at 1:30pm
- Pre-register at the Gunnison Community Center, 200 Spencer Avenue in Gunnison
- Register early as spots will fill up!
Friday, June 21st
- Gunnison River Festival Extravaganza from 5:30pm to 9:30pm at Legion Park
- Live music with Rx Flannel and Musketeer Gripweed
- Beer and food will be available
- Pre-registration available for other festival events
Saturday, June 22nd
- All events take place at Gunnison Whitewater Park
- 9am – Rocky River Resort Competitive Down River Raft Race and Community Float from Rocky River Resort to Whitewater Park. $200 purse and prizes for the competitive race. $30 per boat for comp race.
- 9:30am – 4pm – HCCA Kids Zone Educational and Interactive Area
- 9:30am – Trout Unlimited Fly Casting Accuracy Challenge. $200 purse and prizes, $15 per entry.
- 10:30am – Waggin’ Tails Canine Big Air Competition. $200 purse and prizes, $15 entry per dog. Both small and large dog categories available.
- 11:30am – Gunnison County Inflatable Whitewater Rodeo. $200 purse and prizes, $20 per boat.
- 12:30pm – Western State Colorado University Slackline Competition. $200 purse and prizes, $15 per entry.
- 1pm – Western State Colorado University Kayak Competition. $200 purse and prizes, $15 per entry.
- 2pm – Bear Ranch Kayak Boater X. $200 purse and prizes, $20 per boat.
- 3pm – Gunnison Country Shopper Hooligan Race. $200 purse and prizes, $35 per boat.
Sunday, June 23rd
- All events take place at Curecanti National Recreation Area Blue Mesa Lake
- 8am – UGRWCD Open Water Swim. $200 purse and prizes, $20 per swimmer.
- 8:30am – SUP Race, Kayak/Canoe Flat Paddle Race. $200 purse and prizes, $20 per entry.
- 9am – K9 Training Doggie Paddle with prizes. $15 per dog.
Directions to the Festival
The Gunnison Whitewater Park is located on the west side of Gunnison on the West Elk Scenic and Historic Byway, West Highway 50. Turn south off Highway 50 at the Gunnison Whitewater Park sign. Curecanti National Recreation Area starts at the Lake City Bridge and Highway 50, approximately 10 miles west of downtown Gunnison.
For more information please contact John Messner, the Festival Coordinator, at 970-901-6215 or visit the Gunnison River Festival website.
Chris Kopf, Previews® Property Specialist
Coldwell Banker Bighorn Realty
Phone: (970) 209-5405
305 Sixth Street, PO Box 100 Crested Butte, CO, 81224
Click here to do an advanced search the MLS for properties for sale in the Crested Butte area
Author: Chris Kopf