Crested Butte Colorado and the surrounding areas are home to many beautiful natural wonders. One of the greatest of these are the Waunita Hot Springs and dude ranch. Operating as a family vacation retreat for over 45 years, Waunita Springs strives to give guests “the best week of your year”!
It’s easy to have the best week of your year with everything Waunita Springs Ranch has to offer.
- Hot Springs Pool & Spa: The expansive pool at Waunita Hot Springs is heated year round, fed by the natural hot springs. 35 ft wide by 90 ft long, it has plenty of room for swimming, soaking, relaxing and more. The adjacent hot tub is also maintained at a relaxing 100 degrees all year round. The estimated 100 natural springs throughout the region range from 110° to 190° and produce over 4 million gallons of hot water per day.
- Horseback Riding: The week-long Horseback Riding program at Waunita Hot Springs Ranch is one of the most popular activities. Instructors match you with a horse and guide you through the beautiful forested trail rides, where you’ll be treated to astonishing views of the surrounding valleys and peaks.
- Fishing: Blue Mesa and the Gunnison River provide Gold Medal trout fishing, and a number of small lakes, river and streams are all filled with trout and salmon. There is even a stocked beginner pond, to learn the perfect casting techniques with the whole family.
- Whitewater Rafting: Feel the adrenalin on the Taylor and Gunnison Rivers exciting whitewater runs. There are also mellower scenic floats for more relaxed rafting.
- Western Activities: If you’re not worn out after all that riding, hiking and playing in Waunita Valley, there are plenty of evening activities such as hayrides, Western music shows and square dancing.
- Star Gazing: Camp out under the stars and take in all the natural wonder usually blocked out by city lights.
The ranch has a long history in Colorado. The area was originally developed in 1879 with a hotel, restaurant and post office. In 1916, Dr. Charles Gilbert founded Radium Hot Springs. This became a world-famous health resort with a well-equipped sanitarium and large hotel. Guests suffering from gout, eczema, rheumatism and nervous diseases traveled from all over the world to soak in the healing hot springs and find relief from their ailments. And even earlier, Ute Indians used the hot springs as well and a an ancient legend gives them their name. An Indian maiden, Waunita, had fallen in love with a Shoshoni warrior. Her love was killed in battle and Waunita grieved for days, wandering the Valley and weeping. She died within a few days and was buried in a nearby cave. The legend claims the hot springs sprang forth from all the places where her tears had fallen.
With so much to do in Crested Butte you will not know where to start. Enjoy the outdoors with hiking, biking, golf, fishing, rafting and much more!! Crested Butte Real Estate Market offers a wide variety of properties including ski in/ski out single family homes, ski-in/ski-out condominiums, lake and river frontage properties, golf course property, and true luxury mountain homes on acreage. To see featured properties or search the MLS – visit chriskopf.com. Contact Crested Butte Realtor, Chris Kopf at: (970) 209-5405.