The adage “one shoe fits all” does not work when buying home in Crested Butte, Colorado. I have three daughters and a wife, and I can tell you – it doesn’t work when shoe shopping, either, for that matter! Homes, like shoes, are very personal, and different activities require different shoes, and both are often emotionally-based purchases.
Try as they might to create a home that will meet every need and every taste, architects and home builders are aware that it just can’t be done. As with fitting shoes, versatility lies in key components – client input, simple design, well built, and a combination of style and comfort.
As with your shoe purchase, buying a home in the Crested Butte area requires you to consider what is most important to you, your family and some thoughts about your future plans.
- Location – in town, on the mountain, golf course area, rural home
- Buy a lot and Build dream home, or find an existing home?
- Single Family Home, Condo or Town home?
- How important are Views?
- New and ready to move in or historic remodel?
- Rustic mountain home, modern western, or contemporary?
You should also consider how and who will be using the home. Should it be tailored to you or is it a rental property also?
- Primary residence or vacation home?
- Family (how many), children and pets?
- Will you use it more in Winter or Summer – is proximity to slopes or bus route a consideration? Will it be to Renters?
- How important is a garage? You will acquire “stuff” – toys that enable you to get out in the wilderness for all seasons
- Will it be used to entertain often and is parking sufficient?
Of course, there are many other questions to be considered, so take your time with your home purchase. Enjoy the journey as you find the area and the home that is the perfect fit for you and your circumstances. Here is a link to an Advance Search of the MLS for the Crested Butte Area. Here is a link to a subdivision map of the Crested Butte Area. When you find the home that makes you want to click your heels so you can return – make an offer! As to shoes? If the shoe fits… buy two pair – one for home, and one for your new home in Crested Butte!