About Gunnison Arts Center
May Madness – A Recycled Fashion Exhibition!
Address & Phone:
102 South Main Street
Gunnison, CO 81230
May 3rd, 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Gallery Opening and Artist Reception With the Art Walk
Most artists will be at the event representing their work, and appetizers will be served!
May 30th, 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m.
At this event, artists will be showcasing their work on the runway! Each piece designed will be worn by a model they have selected. Metamorphosis Salon is assisting with the models’ hair and make-up. Prizes will be awarded to artists for the best designs and there will be a dance party after the show. Tasty appetizers and champagne will be served.
Background Info on Artists
In early April, individuals of all ages participated in workshops to learn how to create their own recycled fashion designs to be represented at the upcoming fashion show! These designs were brought to fruition by their own ideas and materials!
About The Gunnison Arts Center (GAC)
The 12,000-square-foot Gunnison Arts Center is a community arts center dedicated to exhibiting and developing visual, literary and performing artists in the Gunnison Valley. With three gallery exhibit spaces, a gallery shop, a dance studio, a 72-seat community theatre/stage, a clay center for ceramics, meeting rooms and a visual arts classroom all under one roof, there is truly something for everyone at the Gunnison Arts Center. Please visit them soon!
Hours & Directions
- Tuesday – Friday: 10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Saturday: 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
The Center is closed Sunday & Monday.
The Gac At-a-Glance
Unlike many arts centers that only use audience counts to demonstrate their success, the Gunnison Arts Center also emphasizes participation. With the slogan of Imagine!, the vision for the GAC is that every member of the community should visit the Center to experience hands-on-art-making, as well as to enjoy performances and exhibits. The following accomplishments indicate that participation is very strong, especially given that the population in the community is only 7,500 people!
• Impacted over 5000 visitors
• Provided exhibition space for over 50 artists contributing to their livelihood
• Provided 39 clay/ceramic classes filled with people ages 5-65
• Added 4 new after-school programs that included theater, art exploration, and life drawing
• Provide a “safe haven” for students
Benefits to the Community
• Partnered with downtown businesses for Gallery Crawls
• Partnered with other non-profits and K-16 schools for a variety of events and community outreach projects
• Provided jobs for over 80 people to include salaried staff, contract labor teachers, artists, construction laborers and professional service contracts
• Sold more tickets to the Annual Gala event than ever before which is indicative of the interests of this community to have an Arts Center in their community
• Secured City of Gunnison awarded a $15,000 grant for 2012
The Gunnison Arts Center strives to achieve the Arts Council’s mission by offering programs in the visual, literary and performing arts year-round to adults and children alike. GAC believes that: art gives our community power; there is value in community arts; that cultural recreation is equally important to physical recreation, and that each individual in our community is the Gunnison Arts Center!
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ Chris Kopf, Broker Associate – Crested Butte Realtor █ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂
Chris Kopf, Previews® Property Specialist
Coldwell Banker Bighorn Realty
Phone: (970) 209-5405
305 Sixth Street, PO Box 100 Crested Butte, CO, 81224
Click here to do an advanced search the MLS for properties for sale in the Crested Butte area
Author: Chris Kopf