Most people know that Skyland is a great place to own a home because of the proximity to the Club at Crested Butte Clubhouse, Championship Golf, Tennis, Fitness, Dining and all the benefits of the social benefits of the club… But you can’t know everything so here are the Skyland Crested Butte 10 things you don’t know!
Skyland Crested Butte 10 Things You Don’t Know…
- The Skyland Community was originally the Ruland Ranch. The Ranch was purchased in the 1970’s, the Skyland Initial Filing was recorded October 2, 1981, and the Special District was formed in 1982.
- There is a visible shaft in the Skyland Community on the hillside that can be seen by those with an eagle eye from Skyland Drive. This was coal storage and “refrigeration” for the Ruland Ranch.
- The “Skyland Camp” in Crested Butte on the land you know now as the Skyland Community and golf course land. It was operated by the Dorsett family for 30 years starting in 1949. For many years campers slept in “covered wagons”, and swam in the cold spring fed Lake Grant that had abundant lily pads and frogs.
- The Skyland Community is home to The Club at Crested Butte a meticulously designed golf course by world renowned golf course architect Robert Trent Jones Jr. The area is sometimes referred to as the “Golf Course Community”. Robert Trent Jones, Jr. has designed more than 270 golf courses in more than 40 countries on six continents. RTJ II courses have won countless awards and accolades, been ranked among the best layouts throughout the world, and hosted tournaments on every major golf tour. The Trent Jones name has become a trademark—like Rolex watches or Faberge jewelry: it guarantees a well-crafted golf venue set comfortably in its natural environment.
- In addition to golf, The Clubhouse facility enjoys tennis and has a Fitness/Aquatic Center. The Fitness Center offers different types of classes for you to enjoy. My wife’s favorite class is Kick Boxing (I think she is just telling me that so I stay in line…). The club also offers seasonal bar and dining at both the clubhouse and Ski Club. The Club at Crested Butte allows a great place for friends and neighbors to get together and enjoy the social aspect of life in the community.
863 Ridge Road, Skyland– Adjacent to National Forest Spectacular views of the Golf Course, Valley and Surrounding Mountains. This modern mountain home has nearly 7,000 sq. ft. of contemporary living area with 5 bedrooms and 5.5 baths. To see HD Photos, Video Tour, 3D Virtual Tour, Drone Video and more… See More
The Fairway Green Townhomes located on Ace Court in Skyland provide luxury living with a Skyland address with the simplicity of “Lock-and-Go”… These new townhomes are over 2,600 sq. ft. of living area and 4 bedroom, 3.5 bath…. See More
- The Club at Crested Butte Memberships are available as “refundable” and “non-refundable” (more $$). The 2019 non-refundable memberships include the Sport Memberships with a $10,000 initiation fee for social and fitness and ski club access, and the non-refundable Lifestyle membership includes Golf and Ski Club locker/parking benefits with a $38,000 initiation fee. All types of memberships require an annual dues payment as well. For Membership Inquiries Contact email@example.com, 970.349.8610
- The initial plans for Skyland included 761 dwelling units and an 18-hole golf course, with a total estimated population of 2,309 people. There are approximately 450 lots in the Skyland Community with a current build out of approximately 50%. There are numerous condo and townhome developments in Skyland including: Skyland Lodge Condos, Golf Villas, Powderview at the Greens, Trophy Club Condos, The Links, Fairway Condos, Boulders Condos, Mountain Horizons, Teocalli Townhomes, Owls Nest, Fairway Park, and The Greens at Fairway Park.
- The Upper Loop Trail starts/finishes on Country Club Drive just down the street from the Clubhouse. Enjoy the trail in summer by hike or bike, and by ski in the winter.
- Summer wildflowers are abundant! You can view the magnificent bloom in the open space of Skyland, adjacent to the fairways on the golf course (you may find many of my lost golf balls in there), and along the Upper Loop Trail, the Upper Upper Loop, or up Brush Creek.
- Owners in Skyland enjoy fishing rights at Lake Grant and along the Slate River. Golf members enjoy fishing access at the Pond on Hole #6 coordinated through the pro shop.
#11 BONUS! Paddle Boarding on Grant Lake for Skyland owners, and the Slate River is a popular and fun recreational activity for appropriate ages and offers outstanding views (be respectful of land owners and those fishing along the Slate River).
Customer service, hard work and attention to detail are the keys to my satisfied clients. I hope this article Skyland Crested Butte 10 Things You Don’t Know is both informative and entertaining for you!
Contact me to help you. I have been in your shoes – as both a Second Home Buyer and Seller here in Crested Butte.
The Crested Butte area offers a wide variety of properties including ski in/ski out single family homes, ski-in/ski-out condominiums, lake and river frontage properties, golf course property, quality homes in Downtown Crested Butte, and true fine mountain homes on acreage.
To see Crested Butte Homes For Sale or search the MLS – visit ChrisKopf.com.
The Crested Butte Real Estate Market is very active. Click this link to see my monthly Crested Butte Real Estate Market Reports.
I have consistently been a Top Real Estate Agent in Crested Butte, and I appreciate the opportunity to earn your business and be your Crested Butte Real Estate Agent.
Broker / Owner
Global Luxury Property Specialist
Coldwell Banker Mountain Properties