Video Interview: Crested Butte Home Painter Jay Prentiss – Owner Altitude Painting
I recently met up with Jay Prentiss to talk about the challenges of the Crested Butte weather on homes in the Crested Butte area and his company’s work to keep the exterior and interior of your home protected and looking good.
One of the great things about my job as a Real Estate Agent in Crested Butte is that I get the opportunity to work with great clients and many other successful businesses in the Crested Butte area. There are many talented business owners in Crested Butte – Jay Prentiss is one of them.
Exterior Paint/Stain – The weather can be hard on a mountain home, especially the sun. Look closely at the south-facing exterior, which takes the brunt of the sun’s rays. Re-staining wood and repainting trim work can be a necessary to-do item every four to five years. Snow piles up against a house in the winter and can turn to ice and like glaciers that carve mile wide canyons – the ice can also cause damage to the exterior of the home – many homes have a stone or metal apron on the first four to five feet from the ground (especially on the North side of the home).
Buying a home sometimes is like voting for a political candidate; you may be limited to selecting the best choice given the options available. The process can be very subjective for most buyers. Which home has the best views, the best curb appeal, looks nicest, “feels” best, etc.? The analytical factors will also come into play here: purchase price, remodel costs (including painting), furniture, furnishings, HOA fees, taxes, cost of ownership, etc.
7 Painting Tips if considering selling your Crested Butte area Home
1. Repaint Walls – Do you have walls filled with family photos? Take them down, fix the holes, and have the walls repainted. Do you have walls painted crazy colors that only you think are super cool? This can be a distraction when showing your home and “one more thing” the buyer is thinking they will have to re-do in the house. Repainting the walls in neutral colors is highly recommended. If not your home will be referred to as the “lime green bedroom house”.-
2. Exterior Walk-up/Curb Appeal – Stand outside your front door for five minutes and look around your door and entryway. What does this first up-close look at your home say to the buyer? Some common things that may need attention include the door, or trim that may need to be repainted.
3. Eyeball Each Room – Take the time to go through your home and take a hard look at every room. I bet you will find many items that need attention. Is there scuffed-up and old paint on the walls? Consider repainting with neutral colors. What do the walls look like around the light switches? You may notice the paint on the wall is discolored, or worse, very dirty. At a minimum, clean the wall and the light switch. Do you have outdated Wallpaper? If so remove it and paint.
4. Don’t Overlook the Garage – A clean, well-lit and freshly painted garage can also make a huge difference.
5. Wood Paneling – Some think painting the wood paneling is a good idea, but it usually will make the house look worse. Remove it, install drywall, and paint a neutral color.
6. Use Local Movers – Local muscle can be very helpful to move furniture around, especially if you are going to paint, put in new floors, or remodel. It’s a good idea to stage stuff temporarily in your garage or a storage unit if you have plans for work to be done.
7. Hand Painted Murals – Do you have hand painted murals on the Bedroom Walls or Ceilings – Unless Picasso painted these, paint over them (it may take two to three coats of paint).
Call an expert to get the job done right and give yourself the peace of mind.
About Altitude Painting:
Since opening for business over a decade ago, Altitude Painting has provided the Gunnison Valley with the highest quality painting services available. Owner, Jay Prentiss, has made it a point to employ locally, cater to local businesses, as well as to make use of the most environmentally conscious products on the market. When you choose Altitude painting you are not only guaranteed superior craftsmanship, but you will be supporting the local economy as well!
Jay has over 20 years of professional painting experience making Altitude Painting your #1 choice for residential or commercial jobs. Altitude Painting specializes in new or existing construction, remodels, and interior or exterior work. There is no job the Altitude Painting crew can’t handle.
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
How can I help you? The Crested Butte area offers a wide variety of properties including ski in/ski out single family homes, ski-in/ski-out condominiums, lake and river frontage properties, golf course property, and true fine mountain homes on acreage. To see featured properties or search the MLS – visit www.ChrisKopf.com. If you considering Selling your Crested Butte home and are interested in finding out what your existing property is worth – call me. How is the Crested Butte Real Estate Market doing? Click this link to see my monthly Crested Butte Real Estate Market Reports I appreciate the opportunity to earn your business and be your Crested Butte Real Estate Agent.
Contact me at: (970) 209-5405, or ChrisKopf@BighornRealty.com
Previews® Property Specialist
Coldwell Banker Bighorn Realty
#1 Crested Butte Real Estate Agent
in 2014 based on Total Volume