Who’s Looking After Your Crested Butte Second Home This Fall?
Who will you hire to keep your Crested Butte home in ship shape when you are not there? Who’s looking after your Crested Butte second home this fall? Dealing with service providers and subcontractors in a small mountain town is much different than in a large metro area. Any small town will have a handful of quality contractors for every trade. It’s probably a good idea to find that right person to care for your Crested Butte second home!
Selecting Who’s Going To Look After Your Second Home
You may be surprised to find out that most Crested Butte Property Managers and service providers are college graduates. Therefore, some will have master’s degrees and many have traded their big-city corporate job for the choice to live full time in a small mountain town. (Likewise, you are considering buying a second home in Crested Butte for some of those same reasons).
- It’s not uncommon for your service provider to have two or three jobs or small businesses in a mountain town to make ends meet
- There is competition for your business and building a relationship with your service provider is key to you being a happy second-homeowner
- You should expect to pay more than the going rates in your home metro area for labor and materials in Crested Butte.
It’s certainly a good idea to get recommendations from neighbors, property managers, and your real estate agent for which service providers or subcontractors are the best for your needs.
Don’t Be That Person
It’s fine to get bids for specific jobs and select the best contractor. Typically though, “strong-arm” tactics when negotiating and dealing with local contractors will backfire on you.
Yes the customer is always right. But unreasonable expectations and demands, or “slow pay” may put you on the local black-list. These tactics may be the norm or part of the culture in the big city, but in a small mountain town, not so much. Word travels fast, and you could become the pain in the rear second homeowner that nobody wants to deal with. So don’t be that person.
I provide my clients with recommendations on property managers and service providers along with contact info.
Who’s Looking After Your Crested Butte Second Home This Fall- Property Manager
As you approach closing it is a good idea to hire a property manager. They can help you get settled in your new home and can watch after your home when you are not there. There will be many initial tasks that a local property manager can help you with, including the items below –
- Cleaning – House will probably be broom swept clean, but you may want a “deep cleaning” done.
- Final walk-through – You and/or your inspector or property manager inspect items that were to be fixed and ensure furniture items and appliances are there per the detailed list.
- Keys, codes (gate, garage, security), openers (gate, garage), locks changed (house, building, owner’s closet), codes changed.
- Handyman tasks – may include simple items like cutting the grass, painting the garage (before it is filled with stuff), hanging shelves, adding cabinets, repairing any additional items from inspection report, sealing the driveway, weeding the flowerbeds, shoveling the decks or roof in the winter, etc.
I hope you see the level of detail and time and effort I put into this candid article Who’s Looking After Your Crested Butte Second Home This Fall? I have become a Top Real Estate Agent in Crested Butte by providing my clients with information and insight. This helps my clients to make informed decisions. Some decisions are not always easy.
This article is an example of what you can expect from me as your agent.
How can I help you?
I have over 30 years of sales and marketing experience and am a top real estate agent in the mountain town of Crested Butte, Colorado representing affluent clients who are buying and selling their homes and properties. To see featured properties or search the MLS – visit chriskopf.com.
If you are Considering Selling Your Home in Crested Butte
Click HERE to get FREE Real Estate book by Chris Kopf, “The Complete Guide to SELLING Your Mountain Dream Home”
If you considering Selling your Crested Butte home and are interested in finding out what your existing property is worth – call me.
Broker / Owner
Global Luxury Property Specialist
Coldwell Banker Mountain Properties